Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Catalogue Arrives

My copy of Dracula. Woiwode und Vampir ("Dracula: Voivode and Vampire," 2008) arrived in the mail today.

It's a 240 page catalogue, in German, printed in association with an exhibition held at Ambras Castle in Innsbruck, Austria, from June 18, 2008 - October 31, 2008.

I don't normally go for stuff on Vlad Dracula (c. 1431-1476). In fact, I'd prefer if people would stop bloody writing about him in works on the vampire genre. No, I primarily bought it due to Niels' glowing appraisal of it in "'Let's Save Dracula!'", as well as the wonderful illustrations that accompany it; especially since it includes photographic reproductions of vampire reports from the 18th century. I'd love to share some of examples from the book, but I don't own a scanner or a digital camera. So, you'll have to make do with the images featured in Neils' blog entry.

The illustrations are brilliant, and pretty much all in colour. An absolutely gorgeously illustrated book.

But, I do warn you, it's not cheap.

The catalogue costs 29.90 EUR (c. 48.70 AUD) and the postage cost me 22.00 EUR (c. 35.85 AUD), totaling 51.90 EUR (c. 84.55 AUD). If you want to get an idea of how much that would tally in your region, click here.

If you're happy with the price, you can order the catalogue here.

But was it worth it?

For me, yes. As a bit of a curio, the incredibly rare illustrations, certainly make it a valued addition to my collection. But to truly appreciate it, it's best if you actually know German.

I, unfortunately, do not.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

News